Immerse yourself in a new culture and collaborate with local communities.
Work with organizations focused on finding creative and sustainable solutions to advance the growth of local commerce and enrichment of their community.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Assist with web design projects for grassroots non-profit organizations
- Teach community art or music classes
- Assist in areas of management, marketing, finance, and public relations
- Coordinate and promote cultural events by developing marketing and PR strategies
- Promote local museums by organizing projects for visitors
- Work as a team to create a series of informative, entertaining, and exciting radio programs
Host Organization Examples
- Community Center
- Community Development Organization for At-Risk Youth
- Cultural Heritage Organization
- Community Library
- Housing and Social Inclusion Non-Profit
- Music and Cultural Center
- Student Radio Station
This program is unique in the sense that it has the ability to transcend cultural differences and connect with people so different from one another thanks to one common passion: serving others. If you want the opportunity to really dive into a culture and connect with people of the host community, service-learning is the best way to do it.
(Granada, Spring 2018)
I loved my service-learning experience abroad and would recommend it to anyone! For me, it was a great opportunity to integrate my Spanish language skills with my area of study (nursing), which is a really unique opportunity. It gave me the chance to have more purposeful interaction with the host community during my time abroad, which I think it a key aspect to the study abroad experience.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2017)
I learned so much participating in service-learning. This experience allows you to open your mind to so many different ways of life, social issues happening in other countries, and ways you can help. The skills you develop are endless because you learn to work alongside diverse groups and not only share your knowledge but also learn from them as well. This experience really helped me grow as a person.
(Lima, Summer 2018)