Learn about education systems and teaching methodologies in different cultural contexts.
Many of our community partners include traditional educational institutions, but you may be able to assist and support non-traditional educational initiatives that our host organizations provide in their communities.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Conduct visual arts, performing arts, or music projects with students
- Lead skills-based workshops
- Coordinate educational campaigns to raise awareness about environmental, health, or other issues
- Facilitate recreational or sports activities
- Prepare lesson plans and other educational materials
- Provide one-on-one or small group tutoring
- Teach English classes or classes in other subjects
Host Organization Examples
- After School Program
- Bilingual School
- Childhood Education Programs at Medical Clinics
- English Language Institute
- Environmental Education Cooperative
- Local High School
- Education Center for People with Disabilities
- Technical School
- Women’s Development and Vocational Training Foundations
Visit the following location pages to read more about these partner organizations and others!
My experience in service-learning abroad changed my entire perspective on healthcare. I have a better understanding of intersectionality regarding underserved communities and their mental health, along with the external circumstances affecting them. Now, I feel better prepared to enter into career settings, as I feel that my distinct worldview has become an asset.
(Cusco, Summer 2022)
Service Learning was one of my favorite aspects of study abroad. I couldn’t imagine my experience without it. I feel like I gained so much knowledge and experience, as well as many professional connections and lifelong friends!
(Meknes, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023)
This unique opportunity allowed me to directly participate in the host community. I was able to interact with locals while also gaining skills that I can apply to my future career. There is a service learning opportunity for everyone regardless of their interests and passions.
(Costa Rica, Spring 2022)
I would highly recommend this experience to anyone considering! My experience at my host organization allowed me to learn exponentially about my host country while making meaningful connections every day.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2022)