A myriad of social issues and other factors can impact the welfare of children and their families.
Learn how organizations support and advocate for vulnerable members of their community by providing social services, education, and necessities.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Assist and/or shadow a social worker
- Help children and teens with reading and homework
- Conduct surveys and research within the community
- Raise community awareness and support through social media campaigns
- Coordinate workshops and educational campaigns
- Help organizations promote social integration and inclusion within the community
- Create a positive environment through social and recreational activities
- Teach after-school classes and workshops in English, art, music, and health
- Fundraise through event organization and grant writing
Host Organization Examples
- Center for Children with Disabilities
- Children’s Rehabilitation Institute
- Family Support Center for People with Autism
- Family Center for Victims of Abuse
- Youth Community Exchange Centers
- Youth Development Center
- Youth Foundation and Play Center
- Youth Service Center
Visit the following location pages to read more about these partner organizations and others!
- Valparaíso & Viña del Mar, Chile
- San José, Costa Rica
- Galway, Ireland
- Limerick, Ireland
- Cusco, Peru
- Lima, Peru
- Cape Town, South Africa
- Granada, Spain
- Salamanca, Spain
My experience in service-learning abroad changed my entire perspective on healthcare. I have a better understanding of intersectionality regarding underserved communities and their mental health, along with the external circumstances affecting them. Now, I feel better prepared to enter into career settings, as I feel that my distinct worldview has become an asset.
(Cusco, Summer 2022)
Service Learning was one of my favorite aspects of study abroad. I couldn’t imagine my experience without it. I feel like I gained so much knowledge and experience, as well as many professional connections and lifelong friends!
(Meknes, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023)
This unique opportunity allowed me to directly participate in the host community. I was able to interact with locals while also gaining skills that I can apply to my future career. There is a service learning opportunity for everyone regardless of their interests and passions.
(Costa Rica, Spring 2022)
I would highly recommend this experience to anyone considering! My experience at my host organization allowed me to learn exponentially about my host country while making meaningful connections every day.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2022)