A myriad of social issues and other factors can impact the welfare of children and their families.
Learn how organizations support and advocate for vulnerable members of their community by providing social services, education, and necessities.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Assist and/or shadow a social worker
- Help children and teens with reading and homework
- Conduct surveys and research within the community
- Raise community awareness and support through social media campaigns
- Coordinate workshops and educational campaigns
- Help organizations promote social integration and inclusion within the community
- Create a positive environment through social and recreational activities
- Teach after-school classes and workshops in English, art, music, and health
- Fundraise through event organization and grant writing
Host Organization Examples
- Center for Children with Disabilities
- Children’s Rehabilitation Institute
- Family Support Center for People with Autism
- Family Center for Victims of Abuse
- Youth Community Exchange Centers
- Youth Development Center
- Youth Foundation and Play Center
- Youth Service Center
This program is unique in the sense that it has the ability to transcend cultural differences and connect with people so different from one another thanks to one common passion: serving others. If you want the opportunity to really dive into a culture and connect with people of the host community, service-learning is the best way to do it.
(Granada, Spring 2018)
I loved my service-learning experience abroad and would recommend it to anyone! For me, it was a great opportunity to integrate my Spanish language skills with my area of study (nursing), which is a really unique opportunity. It gave me the chance to have more purposeful interaction with the host community during my time abroad, which I think it a key aspect to the study abroad experience.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2017)
I learned so much participating in service-learning. This experience allows you to open your mind to so many different ways of life, social issues happening in other countries, and ways you can help. The skills you develop are endless because you learn to work alongside diverse groups and not only share your knowledge but also learn from them as well. This experience really helped me grow as a person.
(Lima, Summer 2018)