Contribute to conservation and sustainability efforts and get your hands dirty with environmental causes that matter to you.
Learn about environmental issues, the importance of agricultural traditions, wildlife care, and conservation within your host community.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Assist with efforts for rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife
- Demonstrate gardening practices as an educational initiative
- Facilitate educational presentations, workshops, and campaigns for local schools
- Maintain paths and trails
- Promote community awareness projects for the conservation of a healthy marine ecosystem
- Research the effects of debris and plastic on the local ecosystem
- Assist veterinary professionals in local animal clinics or wildlife care
- Implement a composting or recycling program
Host Organization Examples
- Agricultural Animal Care Center
- Butterfly Garden
- Community and Cultural Park
- Environmental Education Cooperative
- Humanitarian Aid and Sustainable Development Organization
- Local Political Campaign
- Marine Life Conservation
- Recreational Park
- University Environmental Office
This program is unique in the sense that it has the ability to transcend cultural differences and connect with people so different from one another thanks to one common passion: serving others. If you want the opportunity to really dive into a culture and connect with people of the host community, service-learning is the best way to do it.
(Granada, Spring 2018)
I loved my service-learning experience abroad and would recommend it to anyone! For me, it was a great opportunity to integrate my Spanish language skills with my area of study (nursing), which is a really unique opportunity. It gave me the chance to have more purposeful interaction with the host community during my time abroad, which I think it a key aspect to the study abroad experience.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2017)
I learned so much participating in service-learning. This experience allows you to open your mind to so many different ways of life, social issues happening in other countries, and ways you can help. The skills you develop are endless because you learn to work alongside diverse groups and not only share your knowledge but also learn from them as well. This experience really helped me grow as a person.
(Lima, Summer 2018)