Contribute to conservation and sustainability efforts and get your hands dirty with environmental causes that matter to you.
Learn about environmental issues, the importance of agricultural traditions, wildlife care, and conservation within your host community.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Assist with efforts for rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife
- Demonstrate gardening practices as an educational initiative
- Facilitate educational presentations, workshops, and campaigns for local schools
- Maintain paths and trails
- Promote community awareness projects for the conservation of a healthy marine ecosystem
- Research the effects of debris and plastic on the local ecosystem
- Assist veterinary professionals in local animal clinics or wildlife care
- Implement a composting or recycling program
Host Organization Examples
- Agricultural Animal Care Center
- Butterfly Garden
- Community and Cultural Park
- Environmental Education Cooperative
- Humanitarian Aid and Sustainable Development Organization
- Local Political Campaign
- Marine Life Conservation
- Recreational Park
- University Environmental Office
Visit the following location pages to read more about these partner organizations and others!
My experience in service-learning abroad changed my entire perspective on healthcare. I have a better understanding of intersectionality regarding underserved communities and their mental health, along with the external circumstances affecting them. Now, I feel better prepared to enter into career settings, as I feel that my distinct worldview has become an asset.
(Cusco, Summer 2022)
Service Learning was one of my favorite aspects of study abroad. I couldn’t imagine my experience without it. I feel like I gained so much knowledge and experience, as well as many professional connections and lifelong friends!
(Meknes, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023)
This unique opportunity allowed me to directly participate in the host community. I was able to interact with locals while also gaining skills that I can apply to my future career. There is a service learning opportunity for everyone regardless of their interests and passions.
(Costa Rica, Spring 2022)
I would highly recommend this experience to anyone considering! My experience at my host organization allowed me to learn exponentially about my host country while making meaningful connections every day.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2022)