Keeping communities healthy isn’t just about diagnosis and treatment of individuals; it takes awareness and prevention as well as long-term holistic care.
From rehabilitation centers to health clinics, learn from community health professionals while gaining valuable insight into the multifaceted world of global health.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Accompany trained professionals conducting health surveys
- Observe speech, physical, and occupational therapy sessions
- Assist with patient intake and administrative tasks
- Collaborate on educational workshops to raise cancer, disease, or other health-risk awareness
- Coordinate and facilitate rehabilitation exercises and workshops
- Prepare emergency medical kits
- Sanitize equipment and prep examination rooms
- Shadow health professionals
- Work with staff to implement improved administration processes
- Plan creative activities, organize games, and take walks with senior citizens
- Lead physical education or recreational activities
Host Organization Examples
- Art Therapy Center
- Cancer Support Center
- Children’s Hospital
- Dental Clinic
- HIV Non-Profit Organization
- Local Hospital Center for Disabilities
- Senior Citizens’ Center
- Veterinary Clinic
This program is unique in the sense that it has the ability to transcend cultural differences and connect with people so different from one another thanks to one common passion: serving others. If you want the opportunity to really dive into a culture and connect with people of the host community, service-learning is the best way to do it.
(Granada, Spring 2018)
I loved my service-learning experience abroad and would recommend it to anyone! For me, it was a great opportunity to integrate my Spanish language skills with my area of study (nursing), which is a really unique opportunity. It gave me the chance to have more purposeful interaction with the host community during my time abroad, which I think it a key aspect to the study abroad experience.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2017)
I learned so much participating in service-learning. This experience allows you to open your mind to so many different ways of life, social issues happening in other countries, and ways you can help. The skills you develop are endless because you learn to work alongside diverse groups and not only share your knowledge but also learn from them as well. This experience really helped me grow as a person.
(Lima, Summer 2018)