Keeping communities healthy isn’t just about diagnosis and treatment of individuals; it takes awareness and prevention as well as long-term holistic care.
From rehabilitation centers to health clinics, learn from community health professionals while gaining valuable insight into the multifaceted world of global health.
Common Projects and Responsibilities
- Accompany trained professionals conducting health surveys
- Observe speech, physical, and occupational therapy sessions
- Assist with patient intake and administrative tasks
- Collaborate on educational workshops to raise cancer, disease, or other health-risk awareness
- Coordinate and facilitate rehabilitation exercises and workshops
- Prepare emergency medical kits
- Sanitize equipment and prep examination rooms
- Shadow health professionals
- Work with staff to implement improved administration processes
- Plan creative activities, organize games, and take walks with senior citizens
- Lead physical education or recreational activities
Host Organization Examples
- Art Therapy Center
- Cancer Support Center
- Children’s Hospital
- Dental Clinic
- HIV Non-Profit Organization
- Local Hospital Center for Disabilities
- Senior Citizens’ Center
- Veterinary Clinic
My experience in service-learning abroad changed my entire perspective on healthcare. I have a better understanding of intersectionality regarding underserved communities and their mental health, along with the external circumstances affecting them. Now, I feel better prepared to enter into career settings, as I feel that my distinct worldview has become an asset.
(Cusco, Summer 2022)
Service Learning was one of my favorite aspects of study abroad. I couldn’t imagine my experience without it. I feel like I gained so much knowledge and experience, as well as many professional connections and lifelong friends!
(Meknes, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023)
This unique opportunity allowed me to directly participate in the host community. I was able to interact with locals while also gaining skills that I can apply to my future career. There is a service learning opportunity for everyone regardless of their interests and passions.
(Costa Rica, Spring 2022)
I would highly recommend this experience to anyone considering! My experience at my host organization allowed me to learn exponentially about my host country while making meaningful connections every day.
(Valparaiso, Fall 2022)